Friday, May 4, 2007

Who are you, Tony Bennett?

The following came from msn.com:

By Jeannette Walls
MSNBC
Updated: 2:51 a.m. ET May 3, 2007
Tony Bennett is not a fan of “American Idol” — and the legendary crooner says he has had angry words with Simon Cowell about it.

The “I Left My Heart in San Francisco” singer told the U.K. edition of Time Out that his appearance on the show left him disgusted by how the show’s hopefuls are put through a wringer — and then left out to dry.

“I had it out with Simon (Cowell) when I met him and suggested that he should open up tiny clubs across the countries so the kids could break in and learn properly,” Bennett told the mag. “He said, ‘Oh I haven’t got time for that, I’m too busy making money!’”



Okay, Tony Bennett, simma down.

Let me begin by saying that I like Tony Bennett. I think he seems like a nice guy with a good voice and an obviously strong track record in the recording industry. However, I don't consider him the authority on all things in life.

I also happen to like Simon Cowell. Yes, he can be mean when he judges people on American Idol, but frankly, I think people take him too seriously. Much of what he says is true, but he sets it up in a sarcastic way, which I have come to appreciate about him. Not every performer is as glowing and full of energy as Paula Abdul makes them out to be. (And since when is she one to judge other people's singing voices? She has a terrible voice! But I digress.) Sometimes these people aren't good (Sanjaya, anyone?) and they need to be told so. And, after seeing Simon Cowell countless times, his response about making money in the article above sounds like something he'd say with the intention of getting under Mr. Bennett's skin. Franky, I applaud him for that.

I think my problem stems from the nature of Mr. Bennett's statements. These kids are "put through a wringer," eh? Has Tony Bennett been living the cushy life so long that he has forgotten that people often have to struggle to achieve things in life? I wish I was out there working with celebrities, singing songs that I already know and love (and sing publicly, if I drink enough), and being given a chance to be a part of television history. Instead, as normal people must do, I'm working hard at my current position--which can include taking criticism on occasion--with the hopes of rising through the ranks. Should these singers be coddled? If they're going to take people's money through the record deals (and, consequently, album sales) they no doubt will receive just for participating in the show, shouldn't they have to work to get it? Sorry, Tony, but I don't feel bad for them. They're taking chances by doing the show. It will work out for some and not for others, but that's what makes them risks. If the contestants aren't old/smart/savvy enough to know that, they shouldn't be on the show to begin with.

Anyway, that obviously struck a chord (no pun intended) with me. I must rush off from my lunch break to get back to work. Don't cry for me, Mr. Bennett. This is what people do.

3 comments:

Jill said...

I'm just hoping that what Tony Bennett said was taken out of context. If not, he should be handed an LP of Donna Summer's, and told him to read her name the way it would be filed alphabetically...slowly.

And what would "opening tiny clubs" do anyway? Would you like to see 16 year-olds singing covers of Mariah Carey when you're in a bar? I can't imagine sipping a Blue Moon (because you can't have several in one sitting) while listening to the likes of Kevin Covais, Mikalah Gordon or Ryan Star.

Eileen said...

You make a good point. Would you really want Haley Scarnato destroying "Never Gonna Give You Up" or worse, John Stevens attempting "Tainted Love?" I don't think so. Bars are for drinking and karaoke. And what would classify as a "tiny" club? Whatever it is, it wouldn't be tiny enough.

Jill said...

It could even be TEENY! Poor John Stevens. I remember when I met him at a concert at Darien Lake. I got him to call my Mom on my cell phone. It was classic.