Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Made Reykjavík More Famous than Carmen Sandiego Ever Did

When looking back on the musical landscape of the past two decades the artists that were truly original and their own creative forces are few and far between. One artist stands out above the rest as a musician who has a voice and style all of her own. In honor of her new CD, Volta, which was released this month I thought a tribute was in order.

Björk
I have always been drawn to Björk's music for some reason. Her voice is incomparable to any that are in mainstream music. She first came to prominence with the greatly under appreciated Sugarcubes. From that springboard came solo success. Most notable was her eccentric musical style that didn't cater to one specific genre.

Along with her music, her videos became mainstays on MTV during the 90s. They showcased a creativity unlike most other artists of the time.

Some of her most notable videos:









Her newest single, "Earth Intruders", is very addicting and the video is equally enticing.

Earth Intruders

Add to My Profile More Videos


I thought that since I mentioned Carmen Sandiego, the least I could do is give a shout out to Rockapella. They were without a doubt the greatest house band on a game show based on a computer game.

Sadly this is the best video I could find. It doesn't show them but it has the best quality of the song.

2 comments:

Jill said...

I can't say I've ever been a big Björk fan, but I did notice one song missing from your list..."Army of Me." While her songs never got higher on the US charts than #88, "Army of Me" was one of three of her songs that managed to crack into the Top 20 of the Modern Rock Charts. That and "It's Oh So Quiet" are the ones I remember.

Actually, I think Björk's swan dress at the 2001 Oscars may be more memorable in popular culture overall than a lot of her music! That’s what’s funny about pop culture, it’s more about what’s memorable to the masses sometimes. They remember that bit of fashion, but not the song.

I'm not sure I agree with the statement that she “showcased a creativity unlike others” in her videos. Having my minor obsession with 90s Alt-Rock (okay, maybe it's not "minor") I can think of a lot of 90s videos that were creative, at least in my opinion...

The Prodigy's "Smack My Bitch Up"
Blind Melon's "No Rain”
Most of the Foo Fighter's videos ("Everlong" is a favorite of mine, “Big Me,” Learning to Fly,” etc.)
Korn's "Freak On A Leash" was pretty cool
Nirvana’s “Heart-Shaped Box”
Weezer’s “Buddy Holly”
Nine Inch Nail’s “Closer”
TONS of Radiohead (“Just,” “Paranoid Android,” “Karma Police,” etc.)
Smashing Pumpkins’s “Today” or “Tonight, Tonight”
Tom Petty’s “Mary Jane’s Last Dance”
The Aerosmith-Alicia Silverstone trilogy
Madonna had some good ones…
REM’s “Everybody Hurts”
Metallica’s “Enter Sandman”
Soundgarden’s “Black Hole Sun”

I could keep going and going, but then it’s going to turn into a whole other post!

I also associate Reykjavik with the Emmy and Golden Globe winning movie The Girl in the Café. It stars Bill Nighy and Kelly Macdonald (from my favorite "Trainspotting"). A very sweet film.

James said...

Good response. You pretty much schooled me on the creative video. I choose to blame my use of generalities to describe her on my late night writing. =)

I would also add any video by Tool to that list. I suppose hers just stood out more in my mind. For me, "Human Behaviour" is the first song that comes to mind when I think of her.

And thank you for the movie note. I will add it to my queue.