Friday, May 11, 2007

Happy Birthday, Kate

I don’t know if you could call it a Celebrity Female Crush of the Month, but maybe you could. More like a tribute—for tomorrow marks what would be the 100th birthday for the great Katharine Hepburn.

Why do us female contributors of the blog pick Katharine Hepburn? She’s admirable for many qualities. A strong-willed woman whose mother was a suffragette, she was known in the 1930s as being too outspoken and considered by some a diva. What was some of this shocking behavior of hers? Wearing “slacks” and no makeup for starters.

There’s one story that Hepburn told in TV autobiography All About Me: After being warned many times by the studio to stop wearing slacks, someone took them from her dressing room while she was filming a scene. When she realized they were missing, she demanded they be returned. And when they refused, she proceeded to walk around in her underwear until they were given back.

Of course there’s her career accomplishments. Hepburn won 4 Oscars in her career, and been given the top spot for females on many lists including the AFI’s 50 Greatest Movie Legends. She’s known for her famous relationships with Howard Hughes and of course her great love Spencer Tracy.

Here’s a very short intro clip from my favorite movie of hers (staring another of my dear favorites, Jimmy Stewart), The Philadelphia Story:



But ultimately Kate’s beliefs and convictions are relatable. In Hepburn’s time, being a sarcastic, witty and determined woman was pretty much unheard of. Here are some of her quotes that illustrate the woman better than I can:

"I often wonder whether men and women really suit each other. Perhaps they should live next door and just visit now and then."

"I've been loved, and I've been in love. There's a big difference."

"Not everyone is lucky enough to understand how delicious it is to suffer."

"Afraid of death? Not at all. Be a great relief. Then I wouldn't have to talk to you."

On marriage: "It's bloody impractical. ‘To love, honor, and obey.’ If it weren't, you wouldn't have to sign a contract."

"Only when a woman decides not to have children, can a woman live like a man. That's what I've done."

"Life is hard. After all, it kills you."

"If you want to sacrifice the admiration of many men for the criticism of one, go ahead, get married."

"Life can be wildly tragic at times, and I've had my share. But whatever happens to you, you have to keep a slightly comic attitude. In the final analysis, you have got not to forget to laugh."

"If you always do what interests you, at least one person is pleased."

"I welcome death. In death there are no interviews!"

[When Barbara Walters asked her if she owned a skirt] "I have one Ms. Walters. I'll wear it to your funeral.”

All in all, I have great respect for this tremendously talented woman, who remained a little spit-fire until her death at age 96. Happy 100th Birthday, Katharine Hepburn.

3 comments:

James said...

I applaud your choice and I agree with you about the Philadelphia Story. I know it is cliché but they really don't make films like that anymore.

Anyways, back to Hepburn. She was so strong-willed and confident that you couldn't help but find her sexy. And she filled all of her characters with a sense of bravado that still seems unmatched today.

The only person that I can think of to compare is, funny enough, the actress who played her, Cate Blanchett.

Eileen said...

You've done a beautiful job with this blog. You illustrated all of my reasons for making her my pick this month as well.

I can even ignore the fact that she used the word "delicious" in a non-food context (you put that in on purpose, didn't you?). She was truly one of those people that you can look at and admire. She lived her life to the fullest and didn't give a damn what anyone else thought of her. That in itself is a victory of living.

Well done, Jill. Your blog is a great tribute to a great lady!

Willie Moe said...

They certainly don't make classics, like Philadelphia Story and the Karate Kid, anymore.