Monday, May 21, 2007

I don't know if I should admit this...

Last night I watched the movie Music & Lyrics. (On a side note, I thought it was cute and worth one watch, but Drew Barrymore's character was much too annoying to watch on multiple occasions...just my humble opinion.) This movie did what many movies have done before it - created a fictitious band and made up some songs to accompany it. Who can forget Spinal Tap rocking out with songs like “(Tonight I’m Gonna) Rock You Tonite” and “Big Bottom”? In Rock Star, the band Steel Dragon belted out songs like “Livin’ the Life” and “Blood Pollution.” Even television has its share of fake bands, like The Partridge Family and Jesse and the Rippers.



(You’re welcome.)

However, something strange happened last night. I found myself listening to and actually enjoying the fake songs from Music & Lyrics. Once I heard “PoP! Goes My Heart” I was strangely drawn to it. I’m a huge fan of 80s music, particularly new wave, so maybe it had that appeal to me. Or maybe it was just a seriously catchy song.



Is it wrong for me to like these fake songs? The whole point of “PoP! Goes My Heart” was to make fun of 80s music groups, and yet I still enjoyed the satire. I haven’t gone so far as to purchase the song from iTunes, but I’ve been singing it for two days now. Should I be ashamed? Are there “fake” songs that are okay to like? (I have The Partridge Family’s greatest hits, so I am a repeat offender.)

Are there any amazing fictional songs from fictional bands that I’m forgetting or that are worth mentioning? Is it just me?

Music, movies, and television all combining. Good Lord, I love pop culture.

7 comments:

Jill said...

I can't believe you put that Jesse & The Rippers video up...

I LOVED the video from "Music & Lyrics." It was the best part of the whole movie! And definitely believeable that it could've been a real song.

I must say I did enjoy some of The Rutles songs, as well as The Wonders (yes, I'm blushing) from "That Thing You Do!" And Lost fans certainly will think of Drive Shaft. Hmm let's see, my iPod must have something...how 'bout Zack Attack and Hot Sundae?

Ooh! I know! Wyld Stallyns! I believe I had at least one Jem cassette tape as well. And lest we forget Dr. Fünke's 100% Natural Good Time Family Band Solution.

I could go on, but I'll leave you with this last one: I believe there also was a certain band called 2ge+her that a certain person enjoyed. I'm not naming names.

Eileen said...

I'm sure you will believe this, as we are beyond the "unbelievable" stage, but "Go For It" by Hot Sundae is playing on my iPod this VERY moment. Of course it was total coincidence, but then again this happens to us so many times, it may be something cosmic.

Great adds! I liked the songs from "That Thing You Do!" too. I had the Jem tape (and maybe even Barbie and the Rockers somewhere).

I wouldn't knock 2Ge+her...after all, you "just happened" to know where to put the +. You are a closet fan!

Jill said...

When I was typing mine Journey came on, but I didn't think it was relevant enough to mention. It's still not, but I'm mentioning it anyways.

Actually I'm just too much of a perfectionist and looked up how to correctly punctuate 2ge+her before I posted. And I too had Barbie & The Rockers. Wasn't it a pink cassette?

Willie Moe said...

I so excited that you mentioned Hot Sundae, but yet so scared you didn'tmention the Zack Attack! C'mon "Friends Forever" won an imaginary Grammy for pete's sake! Let it be noted that on my blogging profile under favorite bands, is listed both Wyld Stallyns and the Zack Attack. I can't remember any California Dreams songs, but I'm sure there were some doozies! But I don't think this discussion can take place wihout "Baby on Board" by the B-Sharps. It's one of my favs. Well I gotta go, I got tickets to see Alvin and the Chipmunks playing the Landmark tonight.

Jill said...

I did mention Zack Attack, right before I said Hot Sundae! I have both "Friends Forever" and "Did We Ever Have A Chance?" on my iPod.

James said...

The B-Sharps are a good call. I could listen to that song all day. I've been trying to remember the name of a band in One Crazy Summer. Demi Moore's character is in a band and they play gigs to try to raise raise money to say her grandfather's land.

If I remember right it is Demi's actual voice singing the songs.

Eileen said...

I can't believe I totally forgot about Robin Sparkles! Every time I hear "Let's Go to the Mall" it's stuck in my head for days!