Sunday, May 13, 2007

Way to go, Mom!

Since it’s Mother’s Day, and our festivities are over for the day, I thought I’d write about something that is somewhat tied in to my mother—my name.

For a long time I didn’t like my name. When I was younger I didn’t like that it was “odd.” In a world of Susies, Katies, and Lisas, I was an Eileen. As I got older, I found myself frustrated that an endless number of people couldn’t pronounce my name. I’ve been called “Elaine,” “Ellen,” and sometimes even “Elleen” (is Elleen anyone’s name?). And spelling my name? You’d think I was asking people to spell Czechoslovakia. While many people got the E-I correct, they often were way off mark with the rest, adding extra Ls and Es in places I never could have imagined. (I find that particularly funny since the EI is the only part of my name that is not phonetic.) In any case, as time went on, I learned to embrace and eventually love my name. Now, I like that it’s unique (except for the fact that I work with another Eileen, who is also from a family of six). I like that it’s so Irish that people are blown away by it. I like that it’s a true embodiment of me. It’s my brand. When people say Eileen, they know it’s me. And that rocks my world.

Why would I put this in a pop culture blog? How does this relate to anything pop culture? Well, gentle readers, it turns out my name is apparently music gold.

Everyone knows the song "Come On Eileen,” originally sung by Dexy’s Midnight Runners, and remade by artists such as Save Ferris and Badly Drawn Boy & Jools Holland. In case you’re not familiar with the song, here it is:



(I know you’re blown away by that video. You don’t have to say it.)

Generally, when I meet people, they begin either with “What do you call a girl with one leg?” or “Like Eileen Dover?,” of course each thinking they are the only person to ever say that bit of hilarity to me. However, there’s a large population of people who immediately sing “Come On Eileen” to me. You can either be annoyed by it or enjoy it, and I have chosen the latter.

Then something amazing happened one day. I was listening to the “Arena Rock” music station on digital cable and I heard another Eileen song. I had to reread it because I couldn’t believe it was true. A band named Steelheart had written a song called “Everybody Loves Eileen.” (The lead singer of Steelheart, by the way, did the vocals of Mark Wahlberg’s character in Rock Star. Store that in your brain for pop-culture trivia contests.) I was astounded. A flattering song about Eileen that didn’t invite crude lyrics or inevitable dirty jokes? Was it possible?

After that, I went on a quest. My name—my uncommon name—was in two songs. Could it be in more? Yes, my friends. It could be and it is. According to iTunes, not counting songs that have my name with a last name attached (such as “Ballad of Eileen Bachendoit”), there are FOURTEEN different songs about Eileen. They are:

*Come on Eileen by Dexy’s Midnight Runners, etc.
*Don’t Walk Away Eileen by Sam Roberts
*Eileen (different songs with that title) by The Hush Sound, Jay Hitt, Karl Grambo, Keb’ Mo’, Martin Tillman, Skid Row, The Trist, Bing Crosby
*Everybody Loves Eileen by Steelheart
*Goodnight Eileen by Billy Wall
*My Darlin’ Eileen from the musical Wonderful Town
*Oh Eileen by Ox



From Bing Crosby to Skid Row, my name has been an important part of the musical world. I take this moment to honor the Eileens who inspired this musical history, and the women who named them. (Of course the father’s are important in that decision too, but they can take the credit in June!)

Please, let me know what your namesake songs are, and remember: No matter what your name is, you are a rock star.

3 comments:

Willie Moe said...

Just cause you pointed them out in the post, I wanted to mention that Sam Roberts is pretty awesome, if no one's heardof the band before. There sing 'Brother Down' is a fav of mine. That is all. Well done Aisleeenee, those Music Choice channels are awesome!

Jill said...

I think any "Jill" (or Jillian) songs I'd just have to search for online, and haven't really heard of personally.

What's weird is tonight I caught the tail-end of the top one-hit wonders countdown on VH1, and I thought of you when "Come On Eileen" was number 3. Actually, it may have been RIGHT when you were writing this blog!

James said...

I concur about Sam Roberts. My Canadian friends turned me onto him a few years back and he is quite talented.

My name is pretty boring when it comes to songs. The closest I came to fame was with Aerosmith. Growing up I went by the name Jamie and many people thought Steven Tyler was really singing Jamie's Got A Gun instead of Janie. Of course they were stupid but that was my taste of fame.

My favorite James song is from James Taylor, "Sweet Baby James". Apparently the Bangles also had a song called James though I can't recall it.