Wednesday, May 16, 2007

AI's Final Two: AKA... Him?

Well I guess my prediction, and some other predictions that I read, were wrong. The American Idol Final 2 comes down to Jordin and Blake.

I've expressed my hatred of Blake in my own blog, so I don't really need to get into it at great length here. But once again, I shouldn't be surprised at the "popularity vote" versus "voting for people who can actually sing" after the whole Sanjaya debacle.

So we have two options...a perky 17 year old with a great voice, or an annoying beat-boxing one-trick-pony. Hmm.

Probably most of the Melinda fans or those shocked by her depature will switch over to Jordin's camp, if they're either a) rooting for a female or again b) someone who can sing.

So what do you think, Idol Worshippers? Will it be Blake or Jordin? Will Blake do his own remix on whatever song he's given to sing? Will Melinda end up being a better commercial success regardless? And what was up with Elliott Yamin's hair? Discuss.

4 comments:

James said...

I haven't watched American Idol since the first season. But I have caught bits and pieces here and there of this year.

It seems to me that the popular vote is generally trending over those who sing pop vocals after they have a non-pop winner.

Ruben Studdard and Fantasia Barrino both were featured more on r&b radio. They were followed by Carrie Underwood who was able to cross over into the pop charts.

Then last season Taylor Hicks won and he isn't exactly tearing up the pop charts. So perhaps this year the fans are leaning more towards a pop artist vs. Melinda who seems a bit adult contemporary.

But again, I don't really watch the show so I could be really off base.

Jill said...

Those are some very valid points, so I don't think you're off-base. However I don't have that much faith in the average American Idol voter's intelligence that they've developed that plan and are successfully executing it.

I tend to agree with Michael Slezak of EW:

"Blake's hometown visit proved that the screaming-teen set is squarely in his corner, while Jordin's indicated she'll do well among folks who like kittens, ponies, and rainbows."

Eileen said...

This show is ridiculous, and has been for some time. So, for all of my friends out there who scold me for not running home to watch, this is a perfect example of why I don't. Talk about consistently disappointing me season after season...

Blake is a novelty. Sure, it was fun to watch him the first two times, but I will be damned if I have to listen to beatboxing on the radio. (Have I said this before? I'm sure I have.)

And Jordin. Jordin, Jordin, Jordin. Yes, she has talent, I can't deny that, but how many teenagers have to perish before this country learns that it's not a good idea to throw a teen into the limelight? Oh wait, my mistake. Look how well Britney Spears and the Coreys* turned out.




*If you don't know that the Coreys are Corey Haim and Corey Feldman, then please, stop reading the blog. No, seriously...

Jill said...

Good call Eileen, mostly about the Coreys : ) But I guess we don't have to worry since most Idol winners don't ever get mainstream radio airplay anyways. That and I don't listen to the radio.