Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Look Out, There's a New Crowd in Town

This is the week all of us TV geeks wait for. Some of our favorite shows are wrapping up what we usually feel is a too-short season. Despair not say the networks. They have gloriously chosen this week to unveil their fall television schedules. Forget about which shows will be successful. I love trying to figure out which shows will pass my own high standards.

I make the distinction between the two because lets face it, the American people don't exactly choose the best to watch. I lose faith in any group that watches "According to Jim" enough to make it last six seasons. You read that correctly; six seasons! I give Jim Belushi all the credit in the world for Mr. Destiny but outside of that his career is one giant disaster after another. Yet here he is, still a television star after 6 years.

But I digress. Let us focus not on the disappointment of mediocre tripe but instead on the results of my own favorites from last year. Without a doubt my early favorite of this past season was "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip", the much fabled but disappointingly rated dramedy from the brilliant Aaron Sorkin. I pretty much worship at the feet of Sorkin. I believe he is one of the greatest screenwriters in modern television history and that his ability to write realistic dialogue is unparalleled. "Sports Night" and "The West Wing" set up incredible expectations for any work that would follow. I seem to be one of the few who actually really enjoyed Studio 60. I do admit that it isn't his best work but it is still more worthy of primetime than most of the drivel out there.

The biggest surprise for me was "Friday Night Lights". I believe it to be the best new show of the last season, hands down. It fantastically painted life in small town Texas where people do obsess on football. But to dismiss it as a sports-centered show, which I think many viewers have, is wrong. It is simply a great show about people you can actually somewhat relate to. Connie Britton and Kyle Chandler play a couple in a marriage that all could hope to aspire to.

Other shows I felt worth watching were "Ugly Betty", "Brothers and Sisters", "Jericho", and "30 Rock". Ugly Betty and Brothers and Sisters aren't exactly high brow entertainment but they are good for an occasional laugh and simple fun. Jericho is probably the best serious drama of the year but I don't know if it will ever see a second. 30 Rock grew on me as the season went on. Despite Alex Baldwin's public disaster with his daughter, he has become one of the funniest men on television. I'm glad someone finally saw the potential from his many, spectacular Saturday Night Live guest spots.

Enough about the past. We should look to the future. NBC just released its schedule for this fall. Let me start by saying how nice it must be to live as a moron. Apparently anyone can run a television network. To be fair the head of NBC can't be a complete tool. I must applaud them for keeping Thursday night in tact despite lower ratings. The decision to keep "Scrubs" is definitely a huge positive. Also it appears "The Office" will be bumped up to 30 episodes, including 5 one hour shows.

Let me get back to my original point, however. Television networks seem to be run by imbeciles. While I'm very happy that Friday Night Lights was renewed, plunking it in the show destroyer time slot of 9pm on Friday nights seems idiotic at best. Then there is the constant desire from networks to take what works and beat it to death. NBC found success with "Heroes" this year. So what do they do? They usher in new dramas for next year that are all based in science fiction. My guess that maybe if they are lucky 1 will work out. When will these fools realize that formulas don't work? Just because one science fiction show works doesn't mean you should focus an entire network schedule around them.

But enough with all of the negativity. There is one new show that has really peaked my interest so far. ABC will hopefully air a new series by Mitch Hurwitz called "The Thick of It". It is a BBC adaptation starring a great cast of Michael McKean, Oliver Platt, and John Michael Higgins. Here's hoping that this adaptation leans more towards the success of The Office and less towards "Coupling".

All we can do now is sit and wait. We have to trust that the television executives will try to showcase at least a few shows geared towards intelligent viewers. 1 season of a brilliant show like "Arrested Development" is better than nothing at all. We need our next cult favorite.

5 comments:

James said...

I'm not sure why the last part of that is underlined like that. I wasn't able to fix it in editing.

Jill said...

"According to Jim" has been on SIX years? Wow. I didn't realize. I think I've maybe sat through half an episode once, and it wasn't funny.

I can't say I watch any of the new shows from this past season that you mentioned. However, I am glad "Scrubs" got picked up but am a little disappointed in NBC putting "The Office" at 9 up against "Grey's Anatomy" and "CSI." I hope that competition doesn't kill it.

Unknown said...

I have to severely disagree with you on Aaron Sorkin. I find his writing to be condescending and contrived. Real people simply don't talk like that; and I know it's a TV show so they're not really supposed to, but enough of the "walk and talk" stuff. We get it, kinetic energy = urgency.

I thought the most glaring example of Sorkin's arrogance was the episode of Studio 60 where Nick Corddry brought his parents in from that hick town of Columbus, Ohio (top 15 city in the country by the way) and had to explain to his dad what the "Who's On First" routine was. As if only people on "The Coasts" would have any clue what that was.

Other than that nitpick on my part, very nice post my good man.

James said...

Sorkin can be a bit snobbish, I'll grant you that. And Studio 60 is his most glaring example of that, which is probably why it is his worst work to date.

Not to mention anyone who is politically conservative, unless they are thick skinned, will dislike his shows. Mostly when I refer to his dialogue as reality based I mean it in the humor sense.

To me The West Wing was one of the funniest dramas of all time. I laugh during that show like I would during Arrested Development. The laughs are not straight out jokes, but instead flow within the natural conversation. In that sense it is realistic.

Plus the speeches Sorkin wrote for President Bartlet on TWW were hands down some of the best I ever heard. I wish he would write for a real candidate.

Obviously since I am rambling on here I have a bit of an obsession with the man's work. I usually try to keep it more hidden than this.

Eileen said...

Greetings from DC. Sorry to take so long to respond. I'm just reading this now.

As a fellow tv viewer, you can imagine that I'm not happy to be at a conference, at a dorm, without a working television anywhere, apparently, during May Sweeps. But I digress.

Jill pretty much said my thoughts. I'm very disappointed that the networks continue to try to outdo one another, rather than complement the shows. Sure every viewer will pick one show over the other on a given night, but people will tape or DVR the other. So ratings drop, people are irritated, and in the end, the shows are being watched anyway. That annoys me.

I didn't know Mitch Hurwitz was doing another show! I will certainly check it out.