Monday, May 28, 2007

Set the Night to Music

Well, it’s been a little quiet on Pop-Pop for the past few days. That’s understandable, considering it was a holiday weekend, but I think it’s time for me to post. Let’s face it, I’m due.

Since I’m in that laid-back, holiday state of mind, I’m gonna throw out a softball question to our loyal readers. Gentle readers, how does music affect your state of mind?

Okay, so maybe that’s not a softball question in some ways, but I’m curious. Is there a song that has the power to turn your happy mood sad? Is there a song that will always pump you up? Is there a song that creeps you out? Please tell me because I’d like to know.

In the interest of fairness, I suppose I should answer my own question.

I find music to be an incredibly powerful force in my life. Now obviously, a lot of us have that song that will always be linked to a memory, like a childhood school play or a past love. However, I feel there are certain songs that can put me into a specific mental state, regardless of the state of mind I’m in before I hear it. Some examples (and these are by no means the only songs that fit these categories):

*SONG THAT CAN ALWAYS MAKE ME SAD:
“I Can’t Make You Love Me” by Bonnie Raitt

With a solemn musical backdrop and lyrics like “I’ll close my eyes, then I won’t see, the love you don’t feel when you’re holding me” it gets me every time. I think it’s a GREAT song, but I certainly have to listen to it strategically.

*SONG THAT CAN ALWAYS PUMP ME UP:
“Hard to Handle” by The Black Crowes (I prefer this version)

From the drum at the beginning to the guitar riffs at the end, I love the high energy of this song and find that I can’t resist tapping my feet to it when it comes on.

*SONG THAT CREEPS ME OUT:
“Young Girl” by Gary Puckett and the Union Gap

If you’ve never heard this song, you’re lucky. An older man falls in love with a girl who is not yet old enough for Heaven knows what. It is just gross. I can’t discuss it further. You can catch the lyrics (and video) here:


*SONG I'M ALWAYS IN THE MOOD FOR:
“Africa” by Toto

It’s catchy, easy on the ears, and I absolutely love it.

*SONG THAT PULLS ME OUT OF A FUNK:
“Golden Years” by David Bowie

“Don’t let me hear you say life’s taking you nowhere”…that lyric is a prime example of why this song helped me out of a rough patch. It’s up-tempo and it reminds you that things will not always be so bleak. Definitely a favorite of mine!

*SONG THAT MAKES ME WISH I WAS BEING SERENADED:
“You Are the Woman” by Firefall

If you listen to the words, you’ll know why it is so sweet. I should be so lucky…

*SONG TO BELT OUT IN MY CAR AT NIGHT BECAUSE IT JUST FEELS RIGHT:
Tie—“I Want to Know What Love Is” by Foreigner and “Drive” by The Cars



Both songs that I cannot resist singing to at night in my car. Try it once and you’ll understand why.

*SONG THAT MAKES ME FEEL HAPPY INSIDE:
“Dancing in the Moonlight” by King Harvest

From the first few notes, it’s a light-hearted, uplifting song. I recommend it for anyone in a bad mood.



*SONG TO MAKE ME INVOLUNTARILY AND UNCONSCIOUSLY PARTICIPATE IN MY OWN AIR BAND:
“No Sugar Tonight/New Mother Nature” by The Guess Who

I can’t help it. I love the rhythm and this song (mostly the “No Sugar Tonight” part) makes me rock out like I know what I’m doing. It’s science.

As I could go on forever, let me end on this note…

*SONG THAT I PRETEND MY LIFE IS A MOVIE TO:
“Everybody Wants to Rule the World” by Tears for Fears

“Holding hands while the walls come tumbling down/When they do I’ll be right behind you”…I think that pretty much sums up my movie sequence featuring this song, but of course it would be in slow motion. Maybe I’ve revealed too much.



Psst. Now it’s your turn.

1 comment:

Jill said...

This is mean! I like too many songs. I can’t decide. But I’ll do it anyway…

*SONG THAT CAN ALWAYS MAKE ME SAD:
“Up Where We Belong” by Joe Cocker & Jennifer Warnes. I’m scarred for life because they played this at my Grandfather’s funeral when I was 5. I still can’t get all the way through it when it’s on the radio.

*SONG THAT CAN ALWAYS PUMP ME UP:
“Under Pressure” by David Bowie & Queen. I actually listened to this in the car on the way to work this morning. It can be a cathartic release when you’re feeling “under pressure.” “Watching some good friends/Screaming let me out.”

*SONG THAT CREEPS ME OUT:
It’s a tie between “I’m On Fire” by Bruce Springsteen and “Into the Night” by Benny Mardones, mostly for the same reasons Gary Puckett creeps Eileen out. “I’m On Fire” for lines like “Hey little girl is your daddy home” and “Tell me now baby is he good to you/Can he do to you the things that I do.” Too incestuous for me. “Into the Night” with it’s statutory rape lyrics about a girl who’s “just sixteen years old/leave her alone, they say” and how he says “if I could fly/I’d pick you up/I’d take you/into the night/and show you a love/like you've never seen.” Eww.

*SONG I'M ALWAYS IN THE MOOD FOR:
“Never Tear Us Apart” by INXS: “'Cause we all have wings/But some of us don't know why.”

*SONG THAT PULLS ME OUT OF A FUNK:
I have an unhealthy 90s alt-rock love of “Possum Kingdom” by The Toadies, and a distant dream that I sing a good rendition of it. I don’t care if it’s about vampires or loss of innocence or whatever other theories people have.

*SONG THAT MAKES ME WISH I WAS BEING SERENADED:
Ooh, toughie. I can think of a lot, but I think I’ll call it a tie between “Let’s Stay Together” by Al Green and “I Just Want To Be Your Everything” by Andy Gibb. *Sigh* I wish!

*SONG TO BELT OUT IN MY CAR AT NIGHT BECAUSE IT JUST FEELS RIGHT:
Definitely have to agree with Eileen’s choice of “I Want To Know What Love Is” by Foreigner, it’s quite simply amazing. Also I choose “Don’t Stop Believin’” by Journey. The nighttime is the right time for any Foreigner or Journey song, hence why I have a mix CD in my car titled “Driving at Night.”

*SONG THAT MAKES ME FEEL HAPPY INSIDE:
Lots of songs make me feel good for different reasons. But I cannot hold still when listening to “Billie Jean” by Michael Jackson. Right now in my office my shoulders are swaying side-to-side. “People always told me be careful of what you do/And don't go around breaking young girls' hearts.”

*SONG TO MAKE ME INVOLUNTARILY AND UNCONSCIOUSLY PARTICIPATE IN MY OWN AIR BAND:
“Poison” by Bel Biv Devoe. One word: Scrubs. “Never trust a big butt and smile.” I’m just kidding, you can trust me.

*SONG THAT I PRETEND MY LIFE IS A MOVIE TO:
I like to think of a lot of different “walking” scenes in my life-is-a-movie. My favorite is “Evil Woman” by Electric Light Orchestra. It’s totally out of character, which is why it works in the comedy which is my life—a long shot of me walking to this song, with an overabundance of hair-blowing-in-the-wind shots.