Sunday, June 10, 2007

A Witness to Brilliance

I debated whether I should post this in here or my own blog. I chose here because although this blog seems to be better suited for lighter fare I suppose material of this substance does fall under pop culture, like anything else. It does seem weird to post about it after Squiggy from Laverne and Shirley. They both are deserving forms of entertainment in their own right but on completely different wavelengths.

Anyways, enough babbling about where I should post this. So who exactly is the lucky guy? Darren Aronofsky is a writer and director of motion pictures. So why would the beautiful, vivacious and talented Rachel Weisz marry this guy from Brooklyn? Well for starters, he is absolutely brilliant. This isn't a new revelation but it just becomes clearer with every film that he makes. I am not the only one who feels this way.

The amount of credibility he has generated from 2 major films has been astounding. And with his most recent and third major production he only enhanced that reputation, at least with me. His two previous works were Pi and Requiem for a Dream. As far as I am concerned Requiem for a Dream is one of the best made films of the past decade. Aronofsky showcased his amazing visual style while delving into the frailty of the human condition.

My basic point for posting this entry is to pay homage to Aronofsky's latest masterpiece, The Fountain. I just watched this film tonight and I felt I couldn't in good conscience let an opportunity to praise it pass by. It was unlike any movie I have ever seen before. That in and of itself is fairly noteworthy. It is visually stunning from start to finish. Aronofsky is a master at creating awe inspiring visuals. The story centers on the connection between life and death and how humans cope with it. He weaves the story in a way that it doesn't lend itself to casual viewing. So, to be honest, it would probably alienate most moviegoers. But like most artistic films, if you put in the effort and focus to understand the underlying concepts then you will be rewarded.

Aronofsky also has a way of bringing out the best in his actors. In Requiem for a Dream Ellen Burstyn delivered an Oscar-worthy performance that to this day is one of the best I've ever seen. In this film Hugh Jackman and Rachel Weisz gave some of the best performances of their careers.

Also, one cannot watch Aronofsky's films without being captivated by the music. Rarely have I heard music that fits a film so well. Aronofsky has used the same composer for all 3 of his major films, Clint Mansell. His work is amazing and completely resonates with the story. His main theme from Requiem for a Dream is still used in film commercials today. It was notably used for the Lord of the Rings trilogy as well. It can be heard here:



He delivered once again with the Fountain, which can be heard here in a decent video made by a YouTuber.



To wrap it all up, I am in awe of Aranofsky's talent. It seems to be once of a generation. He bridges the gap between true art films and the mainstream. He has yet to find true commercial success with his films, but from looking at his upcoming projects it seems as if he has a shot to make it big. It will be interesting to see if he can create something that will appeal to a mass audience without compromising his artistic sensibilities.

3 comments:

Eileen said...

I think this may be my favorite post of yours so far. Although I am not familiar with Mr. Aronofsky, I do have the main movies you mentioned (Requiem for a Dream and The Fountain) in my Netflix queue.

This blog has made me more interested to see these movies. Thanks for introducing me to his work! I always like to discover new (to me) talent.

Jill said...

While we do tend to sometimes write posts with sarcastic tones or on comedic pop culture, it's good to have meaningful entries. I like hearing people's opinions on directors and cinema, and its always nice to give props to a movie's score too. Good decision on posting it here!

James said...

I really hope you enjoy the films. Both Requiem and the Fountain had a profound effect on me after viewing them. Requiem is depressing but thought provoking, whereas the Fountain, at least for me, was more uplifting.

I believe that Requiem for a Dream should be required viewing for high school age kids. In my opinion it takes drug deterrence to a new level, matching and surpassing Trainspotting in that regard.