Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Reality Confessional

It seems common today to hear people complain about Reality TV. How it’s out of control, overdone, etc. While I do semi-agree, there clearly is a market for this medium if people continue watching.

I've found the reality TV shows I’m drawn to are ones that have some sort of incentive or prize. But I think that stems from my love (aka obsession) of game shows. While shows like American Idol and Big Brother are indeed categorized as “reality TV,” I see them as extended game shows that follow the same group of contestants for weeks.

That being said, I do love American Idol. I had barely missed one minute of it until this last season, because none of the contestants appealed to me. But due to its supreme fan base and the juggernaut that it is in the ratings world, I’m not embarrassed to admit I watch it.

What am I embarrassed about? That I've watched every season of The Apprentice. And yes, I know Donald Trump is a giant d-bag. Hell, I even watched the Martha Stewart Apprentice. Complete with the Eurythmics’ Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This) theme song and awkward not-quite-a-catchphrase, “You just don’t fit in.”

I never really liked the celebrity reality shows like Newlyweds or The Surreal Life. I didn't become engrossed in The Real World. I also never was a fan of Survivor, even if that has a prize, or Big Brother for that matter. I don’t know why. I have friends and family who watch these programs, but they never appealed to me.

However, there is another program I have to admit I watched a large chunk of. And it is one I’m extremely embarrassed about. It’s Dancing With the Stars. I refused, refused, refused to watch it in previous seasons. But the perfect storm of 90210-alum Ian Ziering, embarrassingly idiotic boy-bander Joey Fatone and will-her-leg-stay-on Heather Mills (formerly McCartney) couldn't keep me away.

Currently this summer I’m watching On The Lot. Fox keeps stumbling around trying to find how they want to present it. In the beginning it seemed like The Apprentice. Then like American Idol. Now I don’t know what the hell they’re doing or what day it’s even on. But a reality TV show for aspiring film directors I had high hopes for. I’ll keep watching when I can, even if its horrible.

I’m also watching Hell’s Kitchen at the urging of a coworker of mine. While I wasn't fully engrossed, I must admit I get some pleasure out of watching people get yelled at and seeing them cry. It’s horribly mean, but makes me feel better after a day of work.

Come to think of it, maybe that’s the second tie-in of why I watch the reality TV programming that I do. Not only for the contest/game show factor, but I like shows where people are meanly judged. I like Simon Cowell insulting people. I like watching people getting fired. And maybe that’s what I should be truly embarrassed about.

3 comments:

Eileen said...

I am on the opposite end of you in reality tv world. I don't like most reality tv. I think it's gotten cheesy, overdone, and they're stretching for ideas. (You probably know I'm referring to that new show where a guy has to pick between 40-year-old genetic freak/plastic surgeried women and 20-year-old skanks.) I think the dating shows are the WORST in reality tv.

I, however, did used to enjoy the real-life based ones that followed people around. I had my time in high school that I watched The Real World, I found Newlyweds amusing (mostly b/c I liked to see what their house looked like) but not "good", and damn you for roping me into Dancing with the Stars, enticing me with my teenage nostalgia! I watched the first season of The Apprentice, and I catch episodes here and there of other shows. I am by no means a "hardcore" reality tv fan.

When it comes to reality tv though, Bravo draws me in more than most. The shows are bizarre looks into things like the hair styling industry, the workout business, and the runway. I find them entertaining for a watch when I can, but usually don't go out of my way. However, one show roped me in without any explanation: The Real Housewives of Orange County. The women and families on it were so fake and misguided in many instances, and it was hard to find any of them truly likeable. However, I was hooked and even watched the reunion show. Part of me hopes they pull out one more season. I need start feeling better about my own life decisions again...

Anyway, I guess you proved that this is why there's a market. Even though people don't usually love reality tv, there are enough people who watch across enough spectrums to cover the 8,000 reality shows we see out there every day.
Other than that, point me to a good home decorating/remodeling show and I could sit there for hours. That is my Achilles in the reality world...

Jill said...

Exactly, and can we really even consider the home decorating shows "reality tv"? I guess that's where it stretches. When I watched This Old House with my Dad on Sunday mornings was that reality tv? Are talk shows reality tv? Game shows? Basically anything not fictional?

I do have to laugh that we say we don't like most reality tv but we watch some of the shows anyways (I believe there's a particular show perhaps called The Girls Next Door that people watch).

Perhaps we like different types, but I don't think either of us would list any "reality" shows in our top favorites. Yet that is why there is a market, because even if they can snag us for a couple, they'll keep making them.

But yes, dating shows are horrible. Especially Age of Love. But the 30 year old is looking for "someone to blow him...away."

Eileen said...

You totally caught me on The Girls Next Door. As much as I'd like to hate that show (because I am still blatantly against Playboy and all it stands for), that show is so stupid it's entertaining.

You're right, I don't usually consider home decorating shows "reality" tv (except for Top Design). I just prefer them to other non-fiction shows.

I'm glad you brought up the "blow me...away" point. It's a great example of how dumb those dating shows are!