Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Back Before Whiny Was Cool

Was there ever a song that defined your teen angst or your melancholy adolescence? A song that you adored, playing over and over, scribbling the lyrics in a journal of some form?

Or maybe not. Maybe you were a normal, popular teen who didn’t do weird stuff like that.

But I did. And one of those songs was In The Arms of Sleep by the Smashing Pumpkins, off their (aptly titled) Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness in 1995.

To truly appreciate it you must imagine yourself as a moody 14 year old girl, apparently whining about some boy you have a crush on. And how can you not feel it with exquisite lines like, “Peace will not come to this lonely heart,” “Sometimes a someone is so hard to find” and “Suffer my desire for you.” I mean, wow. Life was sure hard.

Can I lay my sarcasm on any thicker? Man, I was lame.

If you want to hear the album version, here is a cinematic wonder of soap opera clips set to the song. Or you could watch this really visually crappy live performance of the song:

2 comments:

James said...

I was never a huge Pumpkins fan although I enjoyed Gish and Siamese Dream. I was glad I was able to see them live at least once.

In high school I was a depressed kid by far. During that time I also worshiped Jimi Hendrix. So I'd have to say that early on I related to his song "Manic Depression" the most. I also was a big grunge and alt/rock fan so I was hooked on Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, the Toadies, Hum and many others at the time.

Eileen said...

I was very naive in high school. I wasn't "happy" but I wasn't in angst either. I just kind of floated along and figured stuff would get better as soon as I got out. That turned out to be true, but not without a post high school period of self-pity.

In my down moments, I think "Pardon Me" by Incubus was probably the song I clung on to the most. If you consider that the song begins by acknowledging that ten years ago you never dreamed you'd be here, you can see why I adopted it. I guess I've always been someone that looked ahead too (some call it "wishing your life away"), so I tried to focus on the "rise above the flames" mentality to work through it.

Wow, life seemed so hard back then, didn't it? I guess in certain ways all of our feelings were valid, regardless of how strange they may seem now.