Monday, June 11, 2007

And in the End...

So this past weekend one of the biggest pop culture events of recent memory took place. No I'm not talking about Paris Hilton going back to jail. Although cries of joy could be heard throughout the land with the release of that news. What I'm talking about is of course the series finale of The Sopranos. Regardless of whether you watch it or not, it is hard to recall a bigger water cooler moment in the past 5 years. Just a warning, this post may contain some spoilers. Though I'd be surprised if anyone has managed to get through the day without hearing about it at least once.

One could certainly make a case that The Sopranos was the most influential television show of the new century. David Chase was able to create a frightening yet plausible world that generated a plethora of emotions in the average viewer. He painstakingly pushed the series along after numerous hiatuses. This past weekend was to be the culmination of all the secrecy, death and misery that the family brought upon itself.

I wouldn't say that I'm quite the devotee to the show that many other claim to be. I have allegiances to several other HBO shows over The Sopranos. In terms of dramas I am more partial to Six Feet Under, Deadwood and Big Love. However, I still looked upon this finale with eager anticipation. Like it or not, I had feelings about how I wanted these despicable characters to end up.

Across the internet there were numerous theories as to how Chase would end the show. Many thought there would be a major last battle resulting in the death of Tony and the other mobsters. Others thought Tony would end up in jail or even simpler, end up contemplating ducks as he did in Season 1. In the end Chase decided to go the untraditional route yet again by leaving the last moments up to the imaginations of each viewer.

It is easy to jump to the conclusion that he took the easy way out. Instead of going after the perfect ending, which probably doesn't exist, he gave up. I think that judgment would be too harsh. His choice was bold and although it certainly won't be beloved by many it will forever be talked about in pop culture annals.

So now begins the time where all of us pop culture pundits can reflect and compare this finale to the greatest of all time. Yes this topic has been covered many times and will continue to be by every pop culture outlet in existence. But I figured with the superb knowledge and expertise present here we could bring our own taste to the discussion.

So, with that said, what are the greatest series finales of all time? There are of course the usual suspects, M*A*S*H and Newhart. But I hope that we can try to think a bit outside of the box. Try to come up with some great finales that we might not have thought of. Your choices of course depend a lot on what you feel makes a good finale. People invariably like different types, whether it wraps up the plot points of the show or leaves the viewer with one final cliffhanger.

I personally believe that each show is different. That the finale should reflect the mood and feeling of the show. Some shows should remain a mystery while others require a sense of closure to remain redeemable. As I am a television addict, there are many finales which I have enjoyed and been completely satisfied with. However, it becomes much harder to think of the few I truly loved. I believe that Six Feet Under is one of the greatest finale episodes of all time. What made it so great was how well it fit with the theme of the series. The focus on death and how it shapes life continued to the very end. As a viewer I was left completely at peace with the end of the show, despite my constant desire to see my shows continue.

I also have to add a personal favorite of mine. And I wouldn't be surprised if others here share it with me. The Office Christmas Special for me was and is something to cherish. It was the perfect ending to a show that pushed the viewer's embarrassment to a new level each episode. The characters we had grown to love were allowed to leave with some class.


I am sure that I will be able to think of more that I love as the days progress. I am eager to hear your thoughts on this subject.

2 comments:

Jill said...

Good post, I was actually thinking about doing something along the lines of that with all of yesterday's buzz!

While I do not watch The Sopranos I heard a lot of people were upset by the ending. The interesting theory I heard today though that the audience itself was "whacked," since you'd never see it coming and then everything would go black. I have to give major kudos for using Journey.

Unfortunately either I'm just hard to please, or I don't really remember many series finales, but I have trouble naming off ones I particularly enjoyed. Instead what comes to mind are the BAD season finales. I know in yesterday's talks many folks were bringing up Seinfeld. I personally did not enjoy the finales of Alias, Coupling and Will & Grace, but you can't expect much from shows that went downhill anyways.

The one finale I actually was satisfied with was Sex & The City. Even though I have mixed feelings on Carrie and Big, I felt overall for all the characters it was wrapped up nicely. And of course now we have the impending movie anyways.

Eileen said...

Great post! You already covered my answer. I think the UK version of The Office was probably one of the most satisfying finales I've ever seen. It wasn't overly cheesy (like Friends or The OC), or stupid (like Full House or Seinfeld), but it just ended the way it should have. No character blew you away with how different they were from the rest of the series, but you saw some sides that you knew were deep down somewhere. Other characters stayed exactly the way they always were till the bitter end. The best part was that the show tied up the loose ends and left me feeling like I was ready to leave the show behind.

I tried The Sopranos but I just never got into it. I know *many* people who LOVED it, but I know if I were addicted to a show like that, I would have been upset with the ending. However, I am simple-minded. I don't like philosophical, abstract endings. I like cut and dry, this-is-the-way-it-ended scenarios. You can still imagine what happened beyond the ending they gave you, but you aren't left baffled. That's my take.

I think a great follow-up blog would be the most UNsatisfying movie endings. I'm talking to you, A League of Their Own...