Sunday, January 6, 2008

2007 Movies

Okay, so it took a little longer than I expected to do a blog about Pop Culture in 2007. But better 6 days late than never, right?

The year past was mostly inundated with celebrity gossip as opposed to media achievements. Any more coverage of Paris, Britney or Linsday and I think I would’ve snapped, more so than usual.

You know you’re getting older too when you recognize more of the celebrities that leave us each year, and 2007 saw some greats. Two of my all-time favorite authors, Norman Mailer and Kurt Vonnegut Jr., passed away. Also lost were Deborah Kerr, Dan Fogelberg, Brett Somers, Charles Nelson Reilly, Robert Goulet, Denny Doherty, Bobby Pickett, Brad Delp, Evel Knievel and several more.

The end of the year also calls for “Best of” and “Worst of” lists. I already referenced an Indie Music list in a previous post, but now it’s time for movies.

Entertainment Weekly critics, for one, have listed their Best and Worst movies of 2007. I have trouble critiquing these lists because even with the amount of time I devote to movie viewing, I have not seen a lot of the “top” movies yet, such as I’m Not There, Before the Devil Knows You’re Dead, Michael Clayton, There Will Be Blood, or No Country for Old Men. Therefore, all I can do is have my own list of Best and Worst Movies of 2007 out of the movies that I have seen.

My Favorite Movies of 2007:

10. Hairspray

I wasn’t sure if I’d actually like this one, considering it’s based-on a musical which is based-on an original movie that I actually enjoyed. But after a recent viewing I understand why it did so well this past year.

9. Fracture

Okay, I’m not going to lie…it probably has something to do with Ryan Gosling.

8. Zodiac

…and this with Jake Gyllenhaal…

7. The Simpsons Movie

Another one I was also apprehensive of, but I actually had some outloud laughing moments at it. I especially enjoyed Ralphie’s exclamation of “I like men now!” after seeing a naked Bart on a skateboard.


6. Blades of Glory

I always will enjoy things that star Will Arnett. And even with this comedy doing well commercially and being enjoyed by the mainstream, there were some good moments in the theatre for this one where Eileen and I were the only ones laughing.

5. Evening

This one made one of the Worst lists in EW, and I’m not sure why, since I really enjoyed it. Maybe it’s because I’m a girl.

4. Transformers

This one surprised me the most. I was very adamant about being upset that 80s cartoons were being turned into modernized movies. But the beginning scenes with Bumblebee playing awesome music (I was caught with The Cars, but sold by Player) and Mojo the Chihuahua had me hooked.

3. Enchanted

Very sweet movie, with some good laughs. I was pleasantly surprised.

2. Knocked Up

People have debated over this, even if it was very popular. Personally I liked this much better than Superbad. While some may argue the relationship between the main characters unrealistic, I felt it was one of more realistic relationship comedies. I especially enjoy Paul Rudd and Leslie Mann. There were many great lines out of this one.


1. Broken English

What can I say, I love Parker Posey. This one is not highly rated or critically acclaimed at all. But for one reason or another, I’m going to pick it as my favorite movie of last year.


My Least-Liked Movies of 2007:

5. License to Wed

What can I say? It just wasn’t funny.

4. Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer

…and this one just was not good…

3. Evan Almighty

…and this one was not funny at all. And excruciatingly long…

2. High School Musical 2

I’m sorry, I know the kids love it. But I didn’t think that it could be more cheesy and horrible than the first one. But it was.

1. Lucky You

I wondered why it took so long for this one to be released. And now I know why. Unlucky me.


So lovely readers, what are your favs and hates?

2 comments:

Eileen said...

Great compilation!

I am bad with these lists because I can never remember what years things came out. Nonetheless, a few quick opinions:

1) I enjoyed Knocked Up. I did not enjoy Superbad, but I really, really wanted to. It had the right formula but just didn't deliver.

2) Lars and the Real Girl was my sleeper hit. It was weird, no doubt about it, but I thought it was sweet and well acted all around. And Ryan Gosling was great, even if he looked like David Arquette in it.

3) Transformers was better than I expected, too. I like that it knew how cheesy the whole concept was and it ran with it. I could guess that Alvin & the Chipmunks does not do as well at that, but that's only a guess.

4) Blades of Glory...a nice recovery for Will Ferrell comedies. I think it's one of his better movies in recent time. I can never listen to The Stroke the same way again, and I'm okay with that.

5) I'll be "that girl" and note that I did enjoy the new Harry Potter. It was hyped up and I thought it played out well. I do wish they'd hurry up and finish the series though...

I didn't get out to the movies as much as I would have liked in 2007. Looks like I have something to aim for in 2008.

James said...

You beat me to the punch. I've been ruminating over a PopTen movies of the year for a little while but i've held back. There are still movies I have to see that technically came out last year. I suppose I could stick with movies that I only physically saw in 07. I will add my list soon.