Monday, January 14, 2008

To Watch or Not To Watch?

This is a painful time for those of us who are lovers of quality television. As an ardent supporter of the WGA, I am OK with my current suffering if it means the writers will benefit in the long run. However, that misery grows with every new reality show added to the bunch.

Yes I am that one in the group that hates reality television. I'll admit that I didn't always feel that way. I had watched probably every episode of the Real World for it's first 10 years. As a pre-teen and teenager it matched well with my sensibilities. Once I was old enough to realize most of the antics on the show were pathetic I moved on from reality television. I think reality TV showcases everything that is negative about current society. If that were its purpose and it highlighted those issues in an intelligent light, that would be one thing. But these shows instead revel in the idiocy and debauchery of its own participants and paints it as a way of life that average people should follow.


I admit that occasionally a reality program will catch my eye and I will enjoy it. Scott Baio Is 45... And Single definitely intrigued me because of his idol status that I grew up with. And Confessions of a Matchmaker is endlessly fascinating, in part because Buffalo is about as local as television gets. For the most part though i do resist the urge.


American Idol presents a problem, however. I only watched the first season of the show. Because the music produced is for the most part unoriginal tripe I felt no need to continue watching it. But now there is very little to watch on television and, unfortunately, the majority of people I know and converse with on a regular basis watch AI. So the question I pose is, should I follow my instincts and continue to resist this so-called "cultural phenomenon"? Or should I get off my high porch and watch it so I can participate in the discussions of how stupid Paula is, what a jerk Simon is and how Randy keeps saying, "Yo, dawg"? So I put it to you, the pop-pop audience to give me your opinion.

2 comments:

Jill said...

So here's the thing...even though it is a very highly rated show, I usually find it hard to find people who actually watch it. I watched the first five seasons from beginning to end, every episode. And then just last seasons sucked.

People have different takes on watching the show as well. I know some who only watch the first three weeks or so, to watch just the bad performers get heckled. Then I know some that won't even try to watch until they reach the "Top 12."

It is wearing thin...but you're not alone in not watching it. I mean I'll watch it, but I don't expect anyone else really to. So it's your call!

Eileen said...

I have the same dilemma. I am against the show in the fact that the people I root for never win, and too often the people I really dislike win. Sure, second place seems to mean more than first, a lot of the time now, but it still irks me.

My gut feeling is not to watch it. However, I hate not knowing what everyone is talking about (and sadly, AI does come up in conversation entirely too much in the workplace!). So, I'm going to see if the mood strikes me and go from there...Good luck in your decision!