Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Tribute

When someone on the level of Heath Ledger passes away at a young age it always take me a while to fully grasp the loss. There really isn't much I can say about this tragedy that hasn't been said more eloquently by those in the media. All I can say is that he was a tremendous talent. His body of work, though small, was quite impressive.

It has been said often recently, and I agree, that Heath was one of the best actors of his generation. In that vain, I thought the best way to honor him would be to celebrate his peers who I also consider among the best of their generation. Those who are in his age range who represent the acting craft in the highest manner. They should be actors and actresses who don't just choose the safe choices but go after roles that continue to challenge them.

I envision this as a series, with a different person who raises the bar for acting greatness in each post. I encourage my fellow Pop-Pop writers to present their own tributes to quality acting amongst the younger generation, those say 25 to 40.

I could think of no one better for my first choice than the ridiculously talented Christian Bale. To me he is easily the best actor in the business under the age of 40 working today. The Academy should be appalled that he has yet to be nominated for an Oscar. He chooses roles that push him to his absolute physical and mental limits. He has brought depth and resonance to every part and, at least to me, has set the standard by which all young actors should follow. He gives himself over completely to a role like the great Daniel Day-Lewis is famous for doing. He is one of the few actors, that no matter what the overall film looks like, i know his part will be played to perfection and will raise the level of the whole enterprise.

No comments: