Tuesday, July 24, 2007

I’ll Miss You, “Cliff Hangers” Guy

So I love game shows. And I’m talking REAL game shows here, not modern game shows like Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader? or reality game shows like Fear Factor. You know, game shows like Match Game, Press Your Luck, Name That Tune, Family Feud…this post could go on forever, but I don’t have time.

Clearly one of the most well-known, long running, network television game shows has been The Price Is Right. Bob Barker has been a staple for the unemployed, the college student, the kid home sick from school and anyone else watching syndicated daytime television. With his recent retirement, he joins other great game show hosts such as Richard Dawson, Wink Martindale, Dick Clark, Bob Eubanks, Allen Ludden…okay, again, I’ll stop, I don’t have time. Most readers of entertainment news know where I’m going with this.

Why the *&#$ is Drew Carey the new host of TPIR?!

Okay, yes, no one is going to live up to Bob Barker. He was host for so long that there will obviously be critiques and comparisons. What are Drew Carey’s qualifications? The American Whose Line Is It Anyway? The not-yet-premiered Power of 10?

I just…don’t…like him. I didn’t like The Drew Carey Show. I don’t think he’s funny. I don’t want him giving out new cars and playing with the Trusty Plinko Stick.

I really don’t know who I’d rather have. Definitely not Rosie O’Donnell, but I probably wouldn’t have minded George Hamilton as much. What do you think, friends?

2 comments:

Willie Moe said...

Well, as I mentioned in my blog, I think it would have to be Alan Thicke or perhaps Michael Ian Black? Thicke is such a chameleon, c'mon! He has that perfect game show host hair and he's a snappy dresser.

Eileen said...

I agree, Alan Thicke would have been a strong choice. Alas, it's Drew Carey. I'm not impressed by the decision. I don't really dislike Drew Carey, but I just don't think he'll bring the same kind of energy that Bob Barker did. Plus, I think it was a bad move to pick someone that so many people have preexisting opinions about because anyone who already doesn't like him has been alienated by this decision.

At least it's not Rosie...