Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Classic Music Video of the Week

Well, I'm a little early on this post. I intended to post on August 1st, but I can tell right now that I won't have the time to put up a new blog tomorrow, so I'm sneaking it in one hour (Eastern Standard Time) before it's the glorious first day of August.

Why does it matter when I post? Two reasons:

1) August 1st is the birthday of one of our contributors. That's right, Ms. Jill will be turning another year older and, if we're all lucky, wiser. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JILL! She is a great person who happens to share her birthday with another birth of sorts...

2) August 1, 1981 marked the beginning of music television as we used to know it. I, of course, am referring to the launch of a little station known as MTV. You've heard of it? Back in 1981, MTV did this crazy thing--they played videos. That's right, a tv station that played music videos! While MTV has recently ventured beyond the 24-hour music format for gems like "Engaged and Underage" and "The Hills," it still cannot be denied that when it began, it was a pretty big deal for music fans of that time period. VJs with big hair, "modern" music, and an overall "damn the man" attitude earned MTV the notoriety it has today. While music, videos, and music television have all changed in the past 26 years, I think it's fair to say that MTV was and is an instrumental piece of the pop culture puzzle.

Without further ado, and hopefully without being TOO cliche, let's give props to The Buggles for this week's Classic Music Video of the Week. Enjoy the very first video to air on MTV: Video Killed the Radio Star.



(And happy birthday, Jill!)

2 comments:

Jill said...

8/1/81...what a glorious date for the birth of myself and MTV!

Thank you for the birthday wishes, Ms. Eileen. I will try to be wiser...but I don't know if I can get anymore wise. I am kind of a big deal.

Also Happy Birthday today to Mr. David Wain! (And also Dom DeLuise and Tempestt Bledsoe.)

Willie Moe said...

Didn't know it was your birthday! Happy birthday! It's also my sister's birthday!