Friday, October 26, 2007

Pop Culture Showdown

It’s Friday night. I have some sort of weird bug that’s going around, so I figured I should use this time to embrace my pop culture nerd. Am I dedicated? Do I deserve a medal? Yes, of course. But I do this for you, the readers. So, I hope you enjoy this.

POP CULTURE SHOWDOWN: BAND VS. SOLO CAREER


It’s not a new concept in music: A group hits it big, reaps the benefits of fame and success, something happens to make the band break up (or at least “temporarily” disband). While the rest of the band members struggle, one person comes out on top as a successful solo artist. This week I ask that you, the readers, provide a little input. I’m going to give you ten examples of successful bands that produced (relatively, at least) successful solo acts. I ask that you place a vote for whoever you think was/is better: the band or the solo artist. I will provide a few videos, but these are simply to jog memories. (They are by no means my ultimate song choices for each artist...honestly, sometimes it just comes down to the best quality YouTube clip.) Use any songs, videos, anecdotes, etc. you would like to back up your choice, if you’d prefer. Remember that we do allow anonymous blog comments, so no need to be embarrassed by your choice.

So, let’s do this…No right or wrong answers, just straight up pop culture snobbery.

ROUND ONE: FOREIGNER VS. LOU GRAMM

As a native of Rochester, NY, Lou Gramm’s hometown, I must ask…


“Cold As Ice” by Foreigner

OR


“Midnight Blue” by Lou Gramm

ROUND TWO: THE GO-GOS VS. BELINDA CARLISLE


Blonde or redhead? Your call.


“Our Lips Are Sealed” by The Go-Gos

OR


“I Get Weak” by Belinda Carlisle

ROUND THREE: *NSYNC VS. JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE

Five teen idols or just one?


“I Drive Myself Crazy” by *NSYNC

OR


“Cry Me a River” by Justin Timberlake

ROUND FOUR: NEW EDITION VS. BOBBY BROWN


There are so many ways you could go with this one.


“Cool it Now” by New Edition

OR


“On Our Own” by Bobby Brown

ROUND FIVE: CHICAGO VS. PETER CETERA

Can you go wrong with either, really?


“If You Leave Me Now” by Chicago

OR


“The Glory of Love” by Peter Cetera

ROUND SIX: THE FUGEES VS. LAURYN HILL


Would you like a whole refugee camp or just one tough lady?


“Killing Me Softly” by The Fugees

OR


“Everything is Everything” by Lauryn Hill

ROUND SEVEN: THE POLICE VS. STING

Did Sting even age between the two?


“Roxanne” by The Police

OR


“Desert Rose” by Sting (featuring Cheb Mami)

ROUND EIGHT: COMMODORES VS. LIONEL RICHIE

You’ll be dancing on the ceiling of your brick house.


“Easy” by the Commodores

OR


“All Night Long (All Night)” by Lionel Richie

ROUND NINE: THE SMITHS VS. MORRISSEY

Neither are exactly “uppers.”

“There is a Light That Never Goes Out” by The Smiths

OR


“Suedehead” by Morrissey


And finally…


ROUND TEN (THE KNOCKOUT): THE BEATLES VS. JOHN LENNON

I’m thinking there are some pretty strong opinions on this one.


“And I Love Her” by The Beatles

OR


“Instant Karma” by John Lennon

6 comments:

James said...

This is an exciting contest. I'm anxious to see what other people choose. Here are my picks:

1. Foreigner - This seems to be a bit of a softball for the first round. Yes, Midnight Blue is a great song, but did Gob choose to play a Lou Gramm solo song on AD? I think not. Case closed.

2. Belinda Carlisle - The Go-Gos did have the better career overall and I would go with them, but... I confess that I did have a big crush on Belinda as a kid because of that very video. Watching it now for the first time in years, I'm not sure why. But I can't betray my youth.

3. Timberlake - I am not a guy who will automatically dismiss 'nsync simply because they were a boyband. I feel that they did have many quality, well crafted songs. Some of their harmonies were definitely impressive. I personally always enjoyed "Gone". However, JT has plain and simply become one of, if not THE top R&B singers today. Not to mention that Timbaland's beats could get even the most musically lame nodding their head to the music.

4. New Edition - While you definitely have to give credit to someone who successfully uses the word Humpin' in a song, I have to go with the group here. Perhaps it is because Bobby is such a scumbag now or that back in the day I couldn't get enough of New Edition's simple but cool beats. Also, New Edition spun off another great group, Bel Biv DeVoe. They deserve credit for that.

5. Peter Cetera - I could end up regretting this choice. Chicago had some real talent and were a solid band for many years. Yet I can't deny that I am partial to the 80s cheesetastic nature of solo Peter Cetera. Throw in his connection to the Karate Kid and it pushes him over the top. Like I said, I may regret this choice.

6. Lauren Hill - Wow, these keep getting harder with each round. Although you really can't lose with either choice here. The Fugees were ridiculously good. In the end however, Hill, with Miseducation of Lauren Hill, delivered that rare, perfect album. Plus she gets extra pop-culture points for being in Sister Act 2. We also must not forget that both Wyclef and Pras did pretty darn well solo also.

7. The Police - It is bordering on being downright cruel for asking people to make some of these choices Eileen. Sting has had a fantastic solo career and really is great, but you just can't escape the crisp and enjoyable sound of the Police. It is infectious. Also, Sting loses points for working with Puff Daddy. Granted, it was in memorial for Biggie Smalls, but demerits nonetheless for even considering working with Puffy.

8. Lionel - Call if unfair if you must, but I will almost always choose 80s cheese over 70s cheese.

9. The Smiths - Morrissey's voice is so distinctive, but I really think he failed to distinguish himself with his solo career. Furthermore, I consider "How Soon Is Now" an absolute classic. They must have done something right considering how often that song is covered.

10. The Beatles - John Lennon was by far my favorite of the Beatles. He was a legend, plain and simple. But to not choose the band that spawned him? COME ON! It's the (beep) Beatles! I do think John's solo writing was incredible. However, there just seemed to be magic with what him and Paul wrote together. I would be happy with either choice here but I just can't go against THE group of the past century.

Very well crafted competition Eileen. Some of these choices were painful to make.

Jill said...

This is uncomfortable. It's too tough. It's asking like asking a mother to willingly admit who her favorite child is.

1. Foreigner - That one is easy. No contest.

2. Belinda Carlisle - I do find this choice a little tougher.

3. Justin Timberlake

4. New Edition - This one is almost a dead tie.

5. Chicago - For their wider range of songs, starting with their early collection. Cetera is just pure cheese.

6. The Fugees

7. The Police

8. Lionel Richie - another toughie

9. The Smiths

10. The Beatles - Although any John written songs are of course better than Paul ones ;)

Willie Moe said...

Oh Jill we will fight! Peter Cetera is the pentultimate something or ever. Okay, I'm not reall sure of the spelling or meaning of pentultimate, but "Glory of Love" is possibly one of my favorite songs of all time! Sure it's mostly do to the awesome cideo featuring the epic fight finale of Karate Kid Part II, and I can't name that other song he sings, but Chicago is a city, not a band, der! Eileen I'm a little disappointed that the Zack Attack and Zack Morris are not in your little game. Shame on you! By the way that one's easy it's Zack Attack all the way! Friends forever bitches! Wait, can I say bitches? Let's hope so, cause I just did it twice. I'll reveal my votes and reasoning at a later time, so keep checking in.

Eileen said...

Oh, Willie Moe, if I could name one song that Zack Morris did, I would have put that in the competition. Maybe if we have a Pop Culture Showdown on costumes, that will be in the running. Besides, SBTB lives in my heart through each blog I post. I would hope you know me well enough to know that.

I can't wait to see your picks and I will keep checking in.

I'm very happy with the responses so far! I love the dialogue happening! Thanks for participating. I hope a few anonymous posters (or those with blogger names) will contribute some feedback as well. Maybe it's a pipe dream, but it's MY pipe dream.

Keep it rockin', Bayside.

Jill said...

Okay, if I must show reasoning for my opinion...

Chicago songs I like:
1) Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?
2) Colour My World
3) Saturday in the Park
4) Just You'n'Me
5) Wishing You Were Here
6) If You Leave Me Now
7) Baby, What A Big Surprise
8) Hard To Say I'm Sorry
9) Hard Habit To Break
10) You're The Inspiration
11) Will You Still Love Me?
12) Look Away
13) What Kind of Man Would I Be?

Peter Cetera solo songs I like:

1) Glory of Love
2) The Next Time I Fall (with Amy Grant)
3) One Good Woman
4) After All (with Cher)

So sorry, by a score of 13-4, Chicago wins in my playbook!

Eileen said...

Jill...no Restless Heart? That's a strong choice, I think.