Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Classic Music Video of the Week

I love the 80s. I love them more than I probably should.

One of the things I love most about the 80s is New Wave. No, I'm not referring to the beautiful coifs people sported (although there were some sweet waves of that kind, too). I'm referring to the music that sounded like nothing before it, the music that explored the glory of the synthesizer.

I don't have much of a set-up for this video, other than the fact that I simply think it's a great song. The video creates a bit of chaos, which adds to the message of the lyrics. It almost made me wish I had grown up on the other side of town. Almost.

I can also say that Flight of the Conchords truly captures the essence of this CMVW in their song and video for "Inner City Pressure."
Since I find FOTC to be musical geniuses, I think it's a great compliment that they came as close as they could get (without copying) to this week's Classic Music Video of the Week.

Please enjoy "West End Girls" by Pet Shop Boys. The 80s are gone, but this song will always live in my cold, cold heart.

3 comments:

Jill said...

I remember when I first saw that episode and IMMEDIATELY thought of West End Girls. That's also what convinced me you needed to watch this show.

My favorite part has to be when they have their mouths open like they're singing along to the synthesizer.

James said...

Nice, a CMVW 2 for 1 special! There really is no limit to the musical genius of FOTC.

Eileen said...

I agree, James. I think FOTC's musical genius lies not in the fact that they parody songs, which can sometimes be genius, but that they really seem to understand different genres of music and write songs that could appeal to the masses. I can't tell you how often I start singing "Business Time" in my head just because someone says, "What's today, Wednesday?"

I think they produce quality music, especially considering they generally rely on simply two guitars. Their lyrics are funny and relevant, and overall, they just know how to put together a song!

But I digress. The point of this post was that I love Pet Shop Boys. ;)